Colic causes babies to cry for a long time however, there are no definite answers as to what causes colic. It is known to be very distressing for baby and carer as you both become extremely exhausted and powerless.
What is reflexology?
Reflexology is a gentle and soothing therapy that aims to increase both physical and emotional health. Specific reflex points on the body such as feet, hands and face are massaged and stimulated.
Try to stay relaxed as your baby will pick up your vibes. This will make your baby feel uncomfortable. Below is a calming process you could use:
- Breathe; taking long, slow, deep breaths, and relax.
- Clear all thoughts and say a positive affirmation to yourself such as ‘I am calm and relaxed as I support my baby.’
- Make eye contact with your baby if possible.
- Talk to your baby and tell them you will work through this together and you are there for them.
Simple reflexology techniques
Techniques can be given up to three times a day for no longer than five minutes each time:
- Holding your baby’s feet – the power of still touch is not to be underestimated. You can say the word ‘relax’ to your baby. Move your thumbs to just above centre on each foot. This is the ‘solar plexus’ reflex. Gently press three times and circle your thumbs – this point is good for general calming.
- Under the big toe some gentle strokes in the direction towards the heel – this reflex helps in the calming of the nervous system.
- Stroking on the inside of the foot from the big toe down to the heel. This also helps calm the nervous system.
- Gentle clockwise circles with the thumb on the middle of foot (where they dip/arch). This area relates to the parts of the digestive system helpful in release of wind and gas. Repeat on the other foot and end with holding the feet.
These can be done after giving your child a bath or at times of the day that suit you and your baby. For some babies this may not work for them, if they are getting distressing or grizzy then hold off.
If you are in any doubt about your baby’s health please contact your medical professional.
Where can I find out more about reflexology?
Only go to qualified reflexologists as they can teach you ways to correctly soothe your baby.