Parents of small babies often ask the question, how to make homemade baby food? This is because preparing baby food at home has a number of advantages. Firstly, parents will know exactly what their baby is eating, and such homemade baby foods will not contain all the additives and salt levels that are often found in some commercial baby food.
Secondly, homemade baby foods can be made in bulk load and frozen for another day. Other than this, when baby food is prepared at home, parents can put fresh vegetable and fruit, which means it will be healthier for the baby compared to other commercial baby food. It must also be mentioned that homemade baby foods are not only easy to make but also easy on the pocket.
While preparing homemade baby food at home, some crucial steps must be followed. For instance, only fresh vegetables and fruits must be used to prepare such food, and these should be used within a day or two.
However, if fresh vegetables and fruits are not available, then parents can opt for frozen items. Good vegetables that can be used to prepare baby food include pumpkin, carrots, peas, avocados, sweet potatoes, asparagus tips etc. Fruits that can be used to prepare healthy baby food include bananas, apricots, pears, apples, peaches etc.
Fresh Vegetables and Fruits Make The Best Homemade Baby Food
It is important to remember that homemade baby food must served in the form of purée so that babies can easily consume such food and can easily digest it. To grind or to mash the baby food, use a hand blender, a food grinder etc.
To store extra portions of such baby food, you should always use airtight containers, and these containers should be placed in freezers or refrigerators instead of keeping them in cupboards. Later, when you want to use the extra portions, you need to warm it up and then cool it a bit to feed your baby. Baby food should always be prepared in a hygienic manner.
You can come across a number of recipes to prepare different type of baby food. Some healthy baby food recipes using fruits and vegetables are given below:
- Creamy delight fruit mash- For this particular recipe, you need half of an avocado which is peeled. You also need a pear or apple, which is cored, peeled and diced. First, take a saucepan, put a little water inside it and then add the pieces of pear or apple. You must let the water simmer till the fruit becomes tender. After this, you must transfer the pear or apple inside a food processor and make a smooth purée. In the end, you can mash the avocado and add to the purée before serving it to your baby.
- Banana and Avocado fruity treat- This is one of the easiest to make baby food recipes. All you need to do is take an avocado and a small ripe banana. After this, you need to peel both the fruits and mash them together to prepare a creamy treat.
- Tropical fruit treat- You need to take half of an avocado, banana, papaya and kiwi. You also need ¼ cup of natural yoghurt and pure Maple Syrup. Put all the fruits together in a food processor and make a smooth purée. Then add the yoghurt and maple syrup before serving.
- Pumpkin, oatmeal and apple baby food recipe- you need half a cup of freshly made pumpkin purée, one and a half cups cooked cereal, half cup of homemade apple sauce, a dash of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. First mix the apple sauce, oatmeal, pumpkin purée and spices together. After this, you can blend all the ingredients to make a thick paste to feed your baby.
- Apple and asparagus purée- You need half of an apple which is sliced and cored, four asparagus spears and homemade or low sodium vegetable stock. Place the sliced apples and asparagus spears in a saucepan and cover with stock. First start boiling, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for five minutes until the asparagus and apple becomes tender. Place the boiled asparagus, apple and stock in a food processor to make a purée so that your baby can easily have it.
When introducing solids to babies always be aware of allergies, it always best to slowly add new foods gradually and wait for any signs of an allergic reaction. If you are at all worried about weaning your baby speak to your health visitor who will be able to help you during this process.